Do you have a project that might help grow the Open Humans ecosystem?
You may qualify for $5000 USD to support your work!
Projects can work with members in a variety of exciting ways
– help members add new data sources, or share new ways
to explore existing data!
- Share a data report or visualization!
- Help members import a new type of data
- Connect to an existing community or study
- GPS data + something else (activity data? GIS?)
- Genetic data ancestry interpretation
- Other genome reports, browsers, and/or visualizations
- Time tracking app data (e.g. RescueTime)
- Diet logging app data
- Sleep tracking app data
- Google Fit
- Google search history (via Takeout)
- Google location history (via Takeout)
- Social media (Facebook or Twitter)
- Surveys/tools to record phenotype, traits, health history
- Psych profiling (e.g. Big Five personality traits)
Applying for grants
No application deadline: This opportunity remains open while funds last.
Who can apply: This is open to both US-based and international
individuals. No institutional or organizational affiliation is required.
Individuals and teams are invited to apply for a project grant of up to $5000
if they plan to do one or more of the following:
provide valuable new/novel data sources
raise significant awareness of the project
attract new members (e.g. by providing an analysis or visualization of
data) who will continue to contribute to the ecosystem in the future
after your project rolls out
We strongly encourage applicants to
learn more about projects on
Open Humans, so you understand the technical
format we expect.
Unless otherwise agreed upon, funded projects are expected to meet the
The project should be deployed on Open Humans within 6 months of funding
– "approved" and available to Open Humans members.
The project is expected to remain available for at least 6 months after
deployment, and be responsive to bug reports and other issues.
The project should enable others to replicate it and create derivatives,
through documentation and open source licensing (e.g. BSD, MIT, Apache, or
Grants will be distributed in three parts: one third upon grant award,
one third upon deployment, and one third after the 6 month period is
You should expect to receive a response from the Open Humans Team
within four weeks of receipt of application.
Feel free to join by our
Slack chatroom to get advice!
Once you're ready, please
use our Google Form to
submit an application.
Apply for a project grant