Open Humans: Web Developer / Programmer
Open Humans is seeking staff to support the technology aspects of our
platform and community. While we would lov someone already highly
experienced in the relevant technologies, we are also open to otherwise
experienced programmers learning the technologies along the way.
We're hoping to grow our full time staff, but part-time contractors are
If interested, please email us at:
Open Humans is an exciting nonprofit project with a growing community.
Our team is small and dedicated, and we're hoping to find someone that
loves it as much as we do.
We're "full remote" and connect to each other online. Our core staff is
US/Pacific, but we have folks in Europe as well.
Want to learn more about Open Humans? We invite you to...
What we need
Our current technical stack (see also
Main site: Python Django framework
- Heroku deployment
- PostgreSQL database
- OAuth2 provider
Flask site with custom integration to main site,
Celery/RabbitMQ asynchronous processing, Data retrieval
via OAuth APIs with various providers
Smaller Django sites w/ Celery processing and standard
Open Humans API integrations
GitHub and continuous integration / testing via Codeship
Amazon web services: S3 file storage, Route 53 DNS.
G Suite (email, documents, etc.)
Assorted other services and integrations: Desk.com,
IFTTT, Mailchimp, Slack
What we’d like a developer to work on with us:
- Maintenance of the current software stack
- Implement minor feature improvements
- Optimize the site (improve database queries, site load time)
- Refactor deprecated approaches in site features (i.e. clean-up)
- Implement new data sources
- Work on larger features and projects, like...
- updating an existing iOS app
- cleaning up & re-releasing an old project (iOS/Android/web apps)
- refactoring our backend to facilitate data management by users
Skills or features we'd like to see:
- Solid programming experience
- Strong Python experience
- Django framework experience
Full stack web programming experience
(database to HTML/CSS/JS)
Experience with cloud solutions (AWS, Heroku)
and related services (Google Analytics)
- Experience with OAuth APIs
- Experience with mobile app development (iOS and/or Android)